Friday, July 1, 2011

Meditations on Thankfulness


A quick post. I've been keeping a list of all the things my time in Bangladesh has, thus far, made me recognize my gratitude for. Its very cursory. There are so many more things I should be thankful for but this are what are at the front of my mind. They are in no particular order; just what came to mind as I was thinking about it one night. I make the list as a reminder while I am here and when I return home that "freely you have received, freely give".

Things that I am thankful for and take for granted:

Health

Food

Clean food

Clean drinking water

Bathing water

Shelter

Education

Forgiveness

My healthy marriage

My family

My childhood in which I was loved by two parents and two brothers (plus many adoptive brothers) who loved each other

Travis’ family and their love and support

Love

Basic sanitation back home; basic sewage systems and waste disposal back home

Not having to worry about my safety in my home or as I walk down the street

Not having to worry about being beaten by my husband

My family members’ health

Friends here and at home who I can turn to

A bed to sleep in

A shower to bathe in

Medicine

Health Insurance at home

A car to drive me places

Government scholarships

My tuition is paid for (here and at home)

My meals are cooked for me here (WHAT!?)

My fellowship

My life (what’s this doing down here)

I can regularly count on someone being able to speak my language

The ability to communicate with family members living far away

my bibas and their families (so much love and support)

the booster club gang (all my many parents)

I don’t have to worry about civil war uprooting my family

I don’t have to worry about being rejected by my family or communitiy if I am sexually assaulted

I don’t have to worry about being sexually assaulted as a product of war

I don’t have to worry about my future children being recruited as child soldiers

I don’t have to worry about where my trash goes (although I should)

I don’t have to worry about whether my drinking water is contaminated by the industries and products of my neighbors

I don’t have to worry about where I will get my water or if the water I wash my hands, cuts and teeth with will make me sick back home

Electricity

School supplies

Books

I have the ability to read

I have been given the opportunity to teach and learn

I can see, taste, smell, feel, and hear

Monica and her family

Owen (i already said family but he gets another little shout out)

If I want to travel to another country I don’t have to worry about the other country detaining me because they are suspicious of me based on the color of my skin/country of origin/religion

I can walk, dance, run, lift things, hop, bathe myself, sit down on a toilet myself

I have a toilet and not a squatter

Someone freakin’ cleans my room and washes my clothes here. WHAT?

I wasn’t born into a class that made it difficult for me to achieve my dreams

My parents paid for an expensive college for me where I met my husband, my best friends, and learned about everything one could want to learn about

I get to think about privilege and not have the inequality of it forced upon me

I don’t have to take chemotherapy, AIDS drugs, diabetes medicine, etc. I am healthy!!!

Vox

FUMCB/The Open Door

Sunset Hill

Travis’ opportunity to serve at the Open Door and be supported by that community in my absence

Shoes and clothing

Fruits and vegetables

Basic toiletries

I can participate in a faith community without being persecuted

I was raised believing I could be anything, love anyone and do anything and had the resources for this to actually be true.

My parents didn’t have to travel to a different country and work there illegally, under fear of punishment, just to make money for me to eat.

I didn’t have to travel to a different country and work there illegally under fear of punishment just to make money to eat and live.

I am not forced to work as a slave worker or sex slave.

If I am upset about something my government does, I can write about it on my blog, tell my friends about it, write a paper about it, shout it from the mountain tops and while I will get into some heated arguments with others, I will not be imprisoned, tortured or put to death for my critique.

This sounds dangerously clichéd but, I am thankful for all the freedoms that come with the American life; yes our choices can be limited or made difficult by the economic system, but many more options are available to me than to most folks in other places around the world. Unfortunately my freedoms may come at the cost of others'

While there is corruption in my government, I don’t have to worry about the corruption being so prevalent and perverse that my government leaders can literally get away with murder. There is at least some accountability-at least when citizens get up and demand it.

In my country, while this has negations in American history, when citizens protest, they can generally not fear being murdered or beaten by government officials.

If I wasn’t married, I could still choose to live alone and make my own decisions.

I do not have to beg for food or money.

I do not have to pull a heavy rickshaw, carry bricks on my head, or shovel trash to make make money

I can plan my family with my husband and faith community rather than by proclamation of government or patriarchal social pressure

I could get married to the person I love…this isn’t even a possibility for all in America; if I want to bring my partner with me to Bangladesh next year, I won’t have to lie and say he is a family member or friend.

My sexual preference does not endanger my life.

My religious beliefs do not “ “.

My skin color and ethnic heritage do not” “ or present blockades for my future.

I am prayed for, loved and supported by so many as I travel here.

I am healthy (this one keeps popping up, but seriously, its amazing!!)

I am loved, protected and forgiven by my parents (divine and earthly)

I am alive today.

No comments:

Post a Comment